Wednesday, April 30, 2008

everything shapes us

i just got finished making myself a nice bowl of icecream. as i was putting the icecream in the bowl a weird sensation came over me, and i asked myself what time is it?

why did i ask that? well because i remember growing up, and after dinner, we would play for a little while and promptly at 8pm, eat our icecream. never before, but i also don't remember delaying this event much either. and so, some 20 years later, i still feel weird about eating icecream in my house if it isn't around 8pm.

so that got me thinking a little more of my "growing up" years. another memory is dad coming home from work in his suit, and disappearing into his bedroom. when he emerged a few minutes later, he had transformed from a "professional businessman" into - how do i put it??- a 13 year olds worst nightmare, if you happened to have friends over. he would confidently greet everyone in his green sleeveless t-shirt, sweatpants, hiked up ever so slightly to reveal his dress socks and house shoes.

now where do i find myself. i rarely change out of my dress shoes, and i am certain my kids will be having fits when they are old enough to notice my attire.

fun times for sure!! what else has shaped me? well, quite simply......everything!!
god has a lot of work to do!

1 comment:

joshua r hanauer said...

i still have trouble eating my dairy dessert b/f 8. thanks for recalling that.