Saturday, December 1, 2007

the gods aren't angry

Thursday night saw Rob Bell at the Brown Theatre here in Louisville. He has an amazing way of witnessing to scripture. Bottom line for me - we continue to treat our relationship with God as if He needs to be satisfied in some way, or He will "zap" us. We continue to practice our religion, instead of walking in the way of Jesus. We go to "church" to appease our God, we offer our religious sacrifices b/c in some way we think God needs them and/or requires them. We spend a great deal of energy figuring out the pattern - so we can go forth in the world and correct the errors in other denominations.

Quite frankly - I just don't get it anymore and am tired. More tired than I have ever been. Tired of listening to the religious arguments, and tired of still wanting to participate in them. I have been trying to leave the old way for many years and God willing I feel I am almost home! Need to drop my judgement and bitterness and get about the work to which I am called. The work of incarnating Christ to everyone I come in contact with - even the religious zealots!!

Lord Jesus - Pour your Spirit out.

--------------------------

On a more serious note - put some lights up on the house today. It was an interesting experience to say the least. They actually look pretty good though. Kylie loves them!

3 comments:

Vaths said...

Good post Adam. I am glad you are feeling like you are "almost home" but still trudging. I feel like I'm on that same road, but probably not as far along that path as you are yet. Not really comparing...just a fact.

By the way, I'm sorry our conversation got cut short several weeks ago at Central. I always enjoy talking with you. You encourage me greatly.

Keep up the walk.

joshua r hanauer said...

i'm wondering what you think 'home' looks like to you and your family and what role a sunday morning would play in it? curiously awaiting response.

adam hanauer said...

Home to me is daily experiencing a walk with Christ that is not predicated on the judgement of others. It is leaving the "old way" behind once and for all and not looking back or holding on to few things that I perceive give my spiritual life meaning. It is trusting Christ enough to find my complete salvation in him alone. It is probably many more things, but hopefully you get the point of what I am trying to say.

Home is not so much a place to go Sunday morning as it is a journey with Christ. I will never have it all figured out - not even close. The more I walk the more I understand my inadequacies.

Just so I don't completely avoid your question - finding a community of people on a similar journey would be a good place for me, and might just feel like "home."